Navigating the aftermath of a car accident can be a tricky business. While a person is
never fully prepared for these types of circumstances, having a general sense of purpose and
order can alleviate any overwhelming feelings of chaos. There’s a lot to be done after a car
wreck, and we’re here to guide you through the steps that should be taken immediately after the
incident. While this list is not entirely comprehensive by any means, it will help victims get a
firm grasp on their situation. Contact an attorney to learn more.
1. Record Notes & Take Pictures. It’s crucial that you do this as soon as possible after the
accident. The longer you wait to record what you remember, the more likely it is that you’ll
become confused and forget important details. Also, before anything else, take pictures of the
scene from every angle. This will be essential for future insurance claims, should you decide to
pursue that course of action.
2. Inform the Authorities. Let the police know that there’s been an accident. An official police
report will further aid in your future insurance claims.
3. Check for Injuries. After an accident, it’s important to check yourself and any other victims for
injuries. You may need to call a medical team and an ambulance if the injuries are severe.
Otherwise, just get yourself checked out by a doctor soon after the incident.
4. Get Off the Road. After you’ve taken plenty of pictures, remove your vehicle from the middle
of the road, if possible. Pull off to the side of the road and safely wait for the authorities to arrive.
If the car is totaled or there are serious injuries and you are unable to move the vehicle, allow the
police to handle the flow of traffic.
5. Exchange Information. This includes other parties involved, as well as potential witnesses to
the event. You should get their name, address, phone numbers, and insurance information.
6. Contact an Attorney. An attorney presence can be a tremendous help, especially for those
who’ve never had to deal with this before. An attorney can ensure that you collect all the
evidence you need in the form of pictures, notes, and statements to make a solid insurance claim
at a later date.
If you’re in an automobile accident, don’t hesitate to contact our offices here at Wayne
Hardee Law. Our attorneys can negotiate, settle, or even file claims in court on your behalf. We
look forward to fighting for you!